Skip to main content

Registration Permits/Overrides (for Advisors)


Most registration permits can be given to students electronically:


  • Department heads and their designees will give permits via the Banner Administrative interface for courses offered by their department.
  • Instructors should be able to give instructor permission and prerequisite overrides via Self-Service for the classes in which they are listed as the primary instructor of record.
  • Advisors will give prerequisite overrides via the Advisor Prerequisite Override system which can be found in the Advisor tab of Self-Service (Advisor Prerequisite Override).

Registration permits can be given at the course level (will apply to any section of a given course) or the section level. Primary instructors can only give overrides at the section level (for the sections they teach). Permits do not automatically enroll a student in a class, and students must enroll themselves online after a permit has been given. In the table below, "Department" refers to the department offering the course unless otherwise indicated.



Permit Type


Who can Give Permit?

Department Approval

Special approval


Instructor Approval

Special approval

Instructor or Department

Outreach Approval

Special approval

Outreach Department

Prerequisite Override

Enforced pre- or co-requisite courses and exam scores

Department, Instructor or Advisor

Student Attribute Override

Student attribute restrictions

Department who maintains the attribute

Student Program Override

Restrictions to students in specific degree, college, classification, major, option, and/or minor


Mutual Exclusion Override

Enrollment in mutually exclusive (overlapping) classes


Duplicate Course Override

Enrollment in more than one section of the same course in the same semester


Maximum Cumulative Hours Limit Override Cumulative maximum hour limit for variable credit courses Department

Some registration permits will remain outside of Banner, and require a paper/manual override:


  • Excessive hours petitions
  • Class time conflict
  • Level overrides (ex: undergraduate student enrolling in a graduate level course)

Note that there will be no closed/full class overrides in Banner. Departments can contact the Registrar’s Class Scheduling team ( to request an increase in the class maximum enrollment to allow additional students to register in a class.

Back To Top