Skip to main content

Degree Works FAQs for Advisors


How do I access the Class History tool?


The Class History tool in Degree Works presents all coursework from a student’s transcript (institutional and transfer) in chronological order, including transfer course details. Access Degree Works from the Student Profile or the Advisors tab of the portal. When the student’s information appears, click the Class History link. A new Class History window will open, which you can enlarge and resize as desired.

What does the “@” symbol mean?


The “@” symbol in Degree Works is considered a wildcard. Depending on how it is used, it can represent all subjects and/or all course numbers. For example, when the “@” symbol precedes a range of numbers, any course within that number range will fulfill the requirement (@ 1000:4999). Or, when a course subject is followed by the “@” symbol (MKTG @) this means any course number for that subject can be used to fulfill the requirement.

I’m getting a message that says “Audit Not Available.” What’s going on?


A degree block will call in the “Audit Not Available” block when the particular major/concentration has not been scribed, but the degree (BS, BA, BSCV, etc.) was scribed for another major/concentration. As of Fall 2018, all active undergraduate degree plans have been developed, but graduate degree programs are not yet available in Degree Works. It could also mean that the student's currently declared degree has expired per the six-year limit for completion.

My student isn't showing up in Degree Works. What can I do?


Only students with an “Active” student status are pulled into Degree Works by default. If you need to view the audit of a Withdrawn, Suspended or Inactive student, contact the Degree Certification Specialist within your Academic College. They have the ability to add an attribute to the student that will allow them to get pulled into Degree Works the next day.

How are exceptions (ex: class substitutions or waivers) added to a student’s degree audit?


Exceptions are added to individual student degree audits by degree certification personnel in each college, and are clearly displayed in the degree audit. College degree certification personnel can reference this PowerPoint presentation for more details on how to add exceptions.

What do I do if a student has a second major or second degree?


At this time, only primary majors are audited within Degree Works. Second majors should be considered not validated. To get a picture of the student's progress, feel free to run a pair of What-If audits as if the student were just pursuing one major or the other.


Second degrees, on the other hand, operate independently of each other, so they are definitely considered validated. Use the "Degree" drop-down menu at the top of the page to view a student's second degree.

Can students view their own audit?


Yes! Students can see Degree Works the same way an advisor can. They can also run What If audits, us the Look Ahead feature, and use the GPA Estimators.

How current is the data in Degree Works?


Degree Works is connected with Banner and student data is often viewed in real-time or updated via an overnight process. It is important to always ensure students are accurately declared with the correct degree program/catalog year and substitutions are entered for the audit to remain up to date.

Substitutions that were previously entered have disappeared. Why is this happening?


Substitutions are aligned with a student's currently declared degree program/catalog year. When a student changes their major or catalog year, these substitutions likely need to be reevaluated and will not automatically transfer to a newly declared program. Your College Degree Certification Specialist can assist in updating the student's record with the appropriately approved substitutions.

The audit is behaving unexpectedly. What can I do?


It is important to work with the Degree Certification Specialist for your Academic College concerning any oddities you may find. If there is not a known solution at the college level, they will assist in escalating the issue to the Degree Works team.

How can I print an audit?


Located at the top of the Degree Works page, you will find the "Generate PDF" feature. This feature can be used at any time for the purpose of saving an electronic copy or printing a currently displayed student audit.


Degree Works graphic

Back To Top