Veteran Services FAQs

How do I apply for Education Benefits?

You will need to go to Click on 22-1990 if you are a new participant to the GI Bill Education Program or if you are the dependent of a disabled veteran click on 22-5490. Follow the Department of Veteran Affairs guidelines for application.

Back to Top

How long will it take for the Department of Veterans Affairs to begin monthly payments?

Original new claims may take up to twelve weeks to process (The Department of Veterans Affairs must develop the claim for eligibility and then make the award). In the case of a returning student it may take up to eight weeks to process. You may track the educational claim by calling 1-888-442-4551.

Back to Top

Are there any other forms that need to be submitted?

Yes, each semester that you wish to receive educational benefits, a Veteran Advisory Form must be completed, listing the classes enrolled in for that semester and signed by your adviser. These forms are available at the Office of the Registrar, 322 Student Union or download and print from our Forms page. The advisory form must be submitted as soon after enrollment as possible in order to insure no delay in your enrollment certification.

Back to Top

How many credits do I have to take? What are graduate student requirements?

For full-time benefits, you must carry a minimum of twelve credit hours. The summer semester requires you to be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours.

Graduate students are considered full-time with nine credit hours for the fall and spring and a minimum of four credit hours for the summer semester.

Back to Top

Do I have to attend class every day?

Yes. Remember the VA pays you for "seat time" hours in the classroom. If your instructor calls the Office of the Registrar to report that you have not been attending class your benefits will be terminated for that class. If you receive a failing grade and the instructor indicates non-attendance, your benefits are reduced retroactively to the last day of attendance the instructor reports for you.

Back to Top

Do I have to contact the Veteran Services Office again once I am certified?

Yes. All students on the GI Bill are required to verify their enrollment with the Office of the Registrar at the beginning of each semester. A completed advisory form must be on file each semester that you wish to draw benefits. You are also required to report any changes in your program, credit load, or address.

Back to Top

What if I withdraw from school during the semester?

Generally, the VA will require that you repay any money you have received for that semester. You have the opportunity to submit a letter of mitigating circumstances to show that the withdrawal was unavoidable. If the VA agrees that the circumstances were beyond your control, the benefits will be terminated effective the date of withdrawal and no overpayment will be established.

Back to Top

What happens if I drop a course?

If you withdraw after the school's drop period, the VA will reduce or stop benefits on the date of reduction. If you are assigned a non-punitive ("W") grade, you may have to repay all benefits for the course unless there are mitigating circumstances (illness, illness or death in the immediate family, changes in employment, or lack of child care).

The first time you withdraw from up to six (6) credit hours, the VA will "excuse" the withdrawal and pay benefits for the period attended.

Back to Top

Will the VA pay for courses that are not in my major program?

Normally, federal law prohibits payment for courses that do not lead to a student's educational objective. You may be paid for a course not in your major program under certain circumstances:

  • If it is a valid prerequisite for a course that is required in your major program.
  • You may enroll in more than 12 semester hours. The VA pays full-time benefits for 12 or more semester hours. If you enroll in 12 semester hours which are in your major program, you may enroll in additional hours which do not have to be in the major program.
  • You may obtain a Letter of Substitution from the department for a course which may be substituted for a course that is required in the major program.
  • On your final graduating semester, if you are enrolled in at least one course that is required in your major program, then you may enroll in courses which do not have to be in the major program for the purpose of rounding-out to full-time.

Back to Top

Can I receive the GI Bill all year?

If you are continuously enrolled through spring, summer, and fall terms, you can receive benefits all year. If the break between semesters is less than eight weeks in length, and if you continue to submit your advisory forms to the Office of the Registraron time each semester, you may receive benefits continuously throughout the year.

Back to Top

It is the first of the month and my check is late. What should I do?

If you have received your checks at the same time every month, call the VA Regional Office. The Office of the Registrar has no control over the disbursement of checks - only the regional office can tell you when and where your last check was mailed and if there is a problem.

Back to Top

As a student eligible to utilize Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits, can I also apply for federal financial aid or scholarships?

Receiving education benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs does not preclude you from also applying for financial aid or scholarships.

Back to Top

VA Regional Office:

125 S. Main Street
Muskogee, OK 74401

Other helpful numbers:

Education Benefits Direct Deposit: 1-877-2778
Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.): 1-877-823-2378
Non-education related VA information And Questions: 1-800-827-1000
Muskogee E-Mail inquiries:

Back to Top