Undergraduate Steps to Graduation
To be eligible to earn your degree in a given semester, you must follow these steps:
- Check with your College Student Academic Services Office to verify that all degree requirements have been satisfied.
- You must submit a graduation application to be eligible to graduate. View instructions on the Apply to Graduate website.
- Graduation applications will be accepted until Friday of finals week for the semester you intend to graduate.
- Undergraduates must be classified as a Senior to submit a graduation application. If you are still classified as a Junior and believe you will be able to complete all remaining degree requirements before the end of the term, contact your College Student Academic Services Office to seek an exception.
- If you would like your name to appear in the commencement ceremony program, your graduation application must be submitted by April 1 (for spring and summer graduates) or November 1 (for fall graduates).
- All OSU correspondence course work (including final examination) must be completed before the end of the semester of graduation. Some courses may require earlier completion to allow time for grading. Contact the Office of Individual Study for details.
- All grade changes and official transcripts for course work taken at another institution must be received in the Office of the Registrar (322 Student Union) NO LATER THAN 5:00 PM on the second Friday after final exam week of your graduating semester. Grades from other institutions must be submitted via an official transcript in a sealed envelope.
- Make sure all charges on your Bursar account are paid in full and all transcript holds are cleared prior to the end of your graduating semester. The Office of the Registrar will not be able to release official transcripts or your diploma if you have transcript holds on your account.
- If you determine you will not graduate in the semester originally planned, submit a Graduation Application Cancellation form to the Office of the Registrar. After receiving email confirmation from the Registrar's Office that your form has been processed, you will be responsible for submitting a new graduation application online.
- Commencement ceremonies are held at the end of the spring and fall semesters. Students who complete their graduation requirements at the end of the summer are invited to participate in the spring commencement ceremonies. Spring and summer graduates must file a graduation application no later than April 1 to guarantee their names will appear in the spring commencement ceremony program.
- Spring and summer 2021 degree candidates and class of 2020 graduates must register by Friday, April 16 in order to attend commencement. Eligible students can register for commencement here.
- Please refer to the Commencement Ceremonies and Events section of this website for details on commencement.
- For information on ordering announcements, academic regalia, and the OSU-Stillwater Graduation Fair, contact the University Store.
- Students who are primarily based at OSU-Tulsa have the option of attending spring commencement in Stillwater, attending the Tulsa spring commencement ceremony, or attending both. OSU-Tulsa hosts commencement exercises only at the end of the spring semester.