Skip to main content


Open Main MenuClose Main Menu

FAQs for Department Heads


What is Banner?


Banner is the common Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system for all of the institutions under the OSU A&M System Board of Regents. The suite of Banner products includes the Student Information, Financial Aid, Accounts Receivable (Bursar), Human Resources, and Financial Records systems.

How do I get to Banner?


The starting place for all things Banner is the After logging into with your O-Key information, you can access Self-Service Banner by clicking on the Self-Service icon (see below). Instructors assigned to class sections will be able to access Self-Service without specifically requesting access to Banner. Other staff and academic administrators may need to request access to Banner.

How do I provide registration overrides to students?


  • Department Heads and their designees will give permits via the Banner Administrative interface (INB) using the SFASRPO screen.
  • Instructors should be able to give instructor permission and prerequisite overrides via Self-Service for the classes in which they are listed as the primary instructor of record (see Registration Overrides in the Faculty Services menu).
  • Advisors will give prerequisite overrides via an online form on the Faculty/Staff SharePoint site (Advisor Prerequisite Override).

When using the Look Up Classes or Class Schedule search options, is there a way to only view open sections?


When using the Browse Classes tool, click the Open Sections Only box to filter your results to filter on open sections only. Note that closed classes with a waitlist available will also appear in your search results.

Why are all of the section numbers 0?


In Banner, section numbers still exist, but only the default 0 section number has functionality. Banner tuition/fee assessment can’t recognize section number patterns.


  • Section numbers don’t have to be unique, and aren’t part of a section’s unique identifier in Banner.
  • The CRN (course reference number) is the unique section identifier.
  • Banner has many other ways to identify/search for different types of sections:


Section Property

Banner Field


Campus code

Honors course

Attribute (HONR) and Long section title


Attribute (OUTR or OUTE)

Activity/schedule type

Schedule type

Short course

Start and end dates, and Part of Term

Traditional classroom or online instruction

Instructional method

Travel course

Location (building/room) and Section comments

Special tuition/fee charges

Attributes (OUTR or OUTE) and Class Fee Details

How can I quickly find all classes that carry a specific general education designation (e.g., D, I, H)?


General education codes are designated in the class schedule as class attributes. In Self-Service, select Class Schedule under Faculty Services, and select the term. Select all of the Subjects by selecting the top subject and then pressing Shift + End. In the Attribute Type box, select the general education code, and click the “Class Search” button at the bottom to see the results.

Will students still need a drop card with an advisor’s signature to drop a class after the nonrestrictive drop/add deadline?


Most students will be able to drop classes online (without an advisor’s signature) through the W drop deadline. Exceptions include:


  • Dropping all classes is not allowed online (Student must submit Withdrawal form).
  • Students with registration holds will not be allowed to drop classes online, but can drop via the Registrar’s Office (signed drop card required).
  • Select populations will have new Advisor Holds added at the beginning of the restrictive drop/add period (7th class day), and must consult with their advisor before making any changes to their schedule (see FAQ #7 above).

Will students still need an add card with signatures from their advisor and the class instructor to add a class during the restrictive drop/add deadline?


Yes, students who wish to add a class during the restrictive add period (typically the 7th – 10th class day) must obtain signatures from both the class instructor and their academic advisor on a drop/add card, and provide it to the Registrar’s Office within the restrictive add deadline. Adding a class online is not possible during the restrictive period.

How are registration permits/overrides handled in Banner?


There are multiple types of registration permits in Banner, each of which overrides different kinds of registration restrictions (find details about Common Registration Issues here):


Permit Type

Restriction it Overrides

Who can give Permit?

Department Approval

Special approval

Department Head

Outreach Approval

Special approval

Outreach Office

Instructor Approval

Special approval

Instructor or Department Head

Prerequisite Override

Enforced pre- or co-requisites & test scores

Advisor, Instructor or Department Head

Student Degree Program Override

Specific degree, college, classification, major, option, and/or minor

Department Head

Student Attribute Override

Specific student attributes (ex: Honors College)

Department Head

Mutual Course Exclusion Override

Enrollment in > 1 mutually exclusive (or overlapping) courses

Department Head

Duplicate Course Override

Enrollment in >1 section of same course in the same semester

Department Head

Maximum Cumulative Hours Limit Overrride

Cumulative maximum hour limit for variable credit courses


Most registration permits can be given to students electronically:


  • Department heads and their designees will give permits via INB.
  • Instructors give permits via Self-Service.
  • Advisors will give prerequisite overrides via Advisor Prerequisite Override online form on the Faculty/Staff SharePoint site.
  • Permits which require permission from multiple entities must still be handled via paper permission and brought to the Registrar’s Office for processing:
  • Adding a class during the restrictive add period requires signatures from the class instructor and the student’s academic advisor on a drop/add card.
  • Time conflict overrides require written permission from the instructors of both classes involved in the time conflict.
  • Students seeking to register in a class with a level restriction (ex: restricted to Graduate students only) require special permission – see details about documentation required for different types of level restrictions here.
  • Permission to enroll in excessive hours requires a completed excessive hours petition.

When a student is granted a registration permit, does that automatically register them in the class?


Registration permits do not automatically register a student in the class. Students will receive email confirmation when permits are granted instructing them to register themselves online.

Back To Top