Most registration permits can be given to students electronically:
- Instructors can give instructor permission and prerequisite overrides via Self-Service for the classes in which they are listed as the primary instructor of record. Learn more.
- Advisors give prerequisite overrides via the Advisor Prerequisite Override system which can be found in the Advising Student Profile.
- Department heads and their designees give other types of registration permits ONLY for courses offered by their department. These overrides are typically given via the Banner Administrative system (using the SFASRPO screen). Learn more.
For details on giving instructor and prerequisite overrides via Faculty Self-Service, click here for step-by-step instructions.
Registration permits given by department heads on the SFASRPO screen can be given at the course level (will apply to any section of a given course) or the section level. Primary instructors can only give overrides at the section level (for the sections they teach) via Self-Service. Permits do not automatically enroll a student in a class, and students must enroll themselves online after a permit has been given. In the table below, "Department" refers to the department offering the course unless otherwise indicated.
|Permit Type||Permit Code||Overrides||Who Can Give Permit?|
|Department Approval||DEPARTMENT||Special approval||Department|
|Instructor Approval||INSTRUCTOR||Special approval||Instructor or Department|
|Outreach Approval||OUTREACH||Special approval||Outreach Department|
|Prerequisite Override||PREREQ||Enforced pre- or co-requisite courses and exam scores||Department, Instructor or Advisor|
|Student Attribute Override||ATTRIBUTE||Student attribute restrictions||Department who maintains the attribute|
|Student Program Override||PROGRAM||Restrictions to students in specific degree, college, classification, major, option, and/or minor||Department|
|Mutual Exclusion Override||MUTUAL||Enrollment in mutually exclusive (overlapping) classes||Department|
|Duplicate Course Override||DUPLICATE||Enrollment in more than one section of the same course in the same semester||Department|
|Maximum Cumulative Hours Limit Override||MAXHRS||Cumulative maximum hour limit for variable credit courses||Department|
Some registration permits require a paper/manual override:
- Excessive hours petitions
- Class time conflict
- Level overrides (ex: undergraduate student enrolling in a graduate level course)
Note that there ARE no closed/full class overrides in Banner. Departments can contact the Registrar’s Class Scheduling team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request an increase in the class maximum enrollment to allow additional students to register in a class.